Monday, July 10, 2006

history of madness



Finally, its more than any little foucauldian could wish for. After reading all his major works, most of his minor works, & briskly attending his lectures, what could make me happier than the history of madness, in english!

This book was actually Foucaults doctorate thesis. It concerns the rise of madness in western society, or rather how one could come to be known as being 'mad'. Madness & Civillisation was the early version of this work. A book that was in need of a makeover. M&C was a translation of the abridged french version of Foucaults text. While the book gave some insight to his ideas, it was also a shocking piece of literature. References were deleted, translation whas poor & 80 pages vanished in the transition to english. The final verison of M&C was two fiths the size of the original.

I cant wait to read this book... *sigh*

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Has it hit the shelves yet? I was in Better Fed than Bed an hour ago and didn't sight it.

puppet said...

i saw it at gleebooks, any of the bigger/intellectualist stores would have it.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for your thoughtfulness!

That probably means that if I ask at Better Ned Than Ted they'll be helpful as always.

Gleebooks is too much effort for me these days as my intellectual perigrinations become short stumblings over paths that aren't too cobbled or have been walked before. I went in there a few months ago and it reminded me too cruelly of how little I now know as I start The Great Unlearning. And of how much newness there is - about which I don't want to know.

You are most kind.
Cheers from David aka djr/djryano